Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Wednesday- Fitness Consultation/release of results

Today.Wednesday.

Fitness Consultation
As part of Planet Fitness new member service, I get 5 free personal training sessions. So today was the first, which was basically just a fitness consultation. It is basically just to assess my fitness level and determines my fitness needs. So my trainer was this big, muscular, bulky guy called Keith. I joked about how he and other muscular trainers walk- like apes. Haha their arms are so huge they can't put it to the side of their body! So first we did the ht and weight measurement- YAY I'M 55.5kg AGAIN!

Next was the Body Composition Test, which basically just calculates my body fat mass and my lean muscle mass and basal metabolic rate(which means the total amt.of calories my body is burning at rest for 24hrs). My body fat is in the 'high' range(shit i know lah). I am made up of 86.5lbs of lean mass(bone,muscle, and connective tissue) and 35.5lbs of fat mass. My healthy range is 17.1-22.0. EEKS.

Then we did a Cardiovascular Test. All the results of the tests are compared to other females between the ages 14-19. My cardio results places me in 95th percentile and that means I exceed it! Yay! It better.. After all the crazy workouts.. How can my cardio be lousy after all the kickboxing and running at Amore. :D

Next was the Bicep Strength Test. I was shocked at the results. I am only an average! How can that be! I pump more weights than other females at the gym! Everyone else do light weights,heavy repetitions, and that makes me wanna laugh and roll on the floor. If I am average, then those ladies must be Poor or Fair. Jeez.. I better pump more now!

Last was the Flexibility Test. I am of 'average'. Which is a good result, because I always fail my sit-and-reach, and for my previous flexibility test at Amore when I first joined was a FAILURE. Haha. So, improvement!

At the end of the consultation Keith sorta told me some stuff about the food to eat and stuff.. and I was sitting there thinking like "I ALREADY KNOW FOR GOD'S SAKE I READ UP SO MUCH I CAN BE A TRAINER"! Things like choose complex carbs versus simple carbs (like duh..), heavy weights,light reps versus light weights,heavy reps.. Well at least he gave me some ideas about protein shakes to build muscle mass. But protein shakes are expensive... So I'll probably start saving up. He also told me to cut down on carbs. Which was funnily coincidental, because today's subscription email to Jillian Michaels(trainer of the Biggest Loser show) daily tips is about "THE TRUTH ABOUT CARBS"!

So here is what Jillian has to say about carbs in her email today.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Truth About Carbs
To eat or not to eat?

When it comes to carbs, that really is the question. Sure, it's tough figuring out how carbs fit into a healthy diet these days, but it's not imposssible. Just keep in mind that all carbs aren't created equal. Some are good and some are bad. Let's take a closer look at "bad carbs" and how they got that way.

"Bad" carbs are the ones that get broken down in the body very quickly, triggering insulin release and promoting fat storage. If a food is high in bad carbs, it ranks high on the glycemic load index (GLI), scoring 15 or higher. Refined sugars and processed grains are good examples - they break down quickly in our bodies because they've been processed in a factory. In fact, these processes are similar to the ones in out digestive system, so these foods are - in a strictly technical sense - partially digested before we even eat them. Sort of gross, right?
These kinds of carbs are found in packaged foods such as white bread, pasta, crackers, baked goods, and other foods that are made with white flour and contain little or no fiber.

Think you can never have a slice of bread again? That's the old way of thinking. Bread, pasta - even crackers - can remain on your grocery list as long as they don't contain white, bleached, or refined flour. Whole wheat breads and pastas make perfect (and delicious) sense. Look at the label. "Whole wheat" or "whole grain" should be the first thing on the ingredients list.

So, what's the verdict on these kinds of carbs? Stay away! They can sabotage you and your weight-loss and fitness goals.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So basically people if you are reading my blog and you feel like losing weight, STAY AWAY FROM "BAD" CARBS! Rather, choose "GOOD CARBS" like Wholemeal, Wholegrain, Wholewheat etc.. Another reason is because they are lower in sugar, and once you cut down on your sugar, you will definitely lose weight (SO CUT DOWN YOUR SUGARED DRINKS!).

Last Semester results are out!
-History of Costume- C (Not bad considering I submitted a really SMALL sketchbook which had only 2 sketches in it haha Wilson prob hates me now)
-Fashion Retail Management-B+
-Advanced CAD- B (I thot I would get an A! Bloody Vernon!)
-Apparel Manufacturing Process- C+
-Pattern Grading- C+ (Not bad considering I hated this subject)
-Professional Communication for Design- B
-Leadership and Character- C+ (Me, a leader with character? Haha!)

So my cumulative G.P.A to date is only a pathetic 2.48. Haha.