Tuesday, August 14, 2007


Today.Tuesday.

Can the love between two people ever be an abomination? Is the chasm separating gays and lesbians and Christianity too wide to cross? Is the Bible an excuse to hate?

Members of several churches, including Cornerstone, gathered at an Indignation event as a silent form of protest. One male member of Cornerstone even waged war against homosexuals 2 years ago.

Is it only me that finds it funny how people can change their tune so fast? For I clearly remember how my sunday school teacher used to teach us that "Jesus loves me this I know, for the bible tells me so.", but the moment people finds out someone is gay, it becomes "God hates fags. Fags burn in hell.".

So then, do I believe that Jesus is an all-loving, non-judgemental God, or should I now change my perspective of him, and believe that Christianity is an exclusive club meant only for those who are deemed 'righteous'?

The funny bit about the guy from Cornostone, is that he probably doesn't realise that there are homosexuals in his church too (I know, because I have friends there).

So maybe now the church isn't as 'holy and pure' as he would like it to be, I suppose.

There is an upcoming documentary that brilliantly reconciles homosexuality and Biblical scripture, and in the process reveals that Church-sanctioned anti-gay bias is based almost solely upon a significant (and often malicious) misinterpretation of the Bible.

As the film notes, most Christians live their lives today without feeling obliged to kill anyone who works on the Sabbath or eats shrimp (as a literal reading of scripture dictates).

Through the experiences of five very normal, very Christian, very American families -- including those of former House Majority Leader Richard Gephardt and Episcopalian Bishop Gene Robinson -- we discover how insightful people of faith handle the realization of having a gay child.

Informed by such respected voices as Bishop Desmond Tutu, Harvard's Peter Gomes, Orthodox Rabbi Steve Greenberg and Reverend Jimmy Creech, FOR THE BIBLE TELLS ME SO offers healing, clarity and understanding to anyone caught in the crosshairs of scripture and sexual identity.

I doubt we'll ever get to watch FOR THE BIBLE TELLS ME SO in Singapore, so I guess the only way to view it is online. Since it is now showing in the States, I guess I can only get to watch the documentary.. Next year? Jeez.

But here is a video of an interview with the director, and his take on the issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Lpc4s5Yk0