Thursday, January 29, 2009


So I got onto the train heading to Hatyai station, and it was all Thai people on board.

I don't know what it was but I suddenly felt very depressed and dreading to go home. I teared and just felt awful. It might be because everyone around me spoke Thai and are Thai and I just felt so alone. But I think one of the main reasons why I just don't want to come back is because I have made so many friends along the way, nationalities I would have otherwise not met had I not gone on a backpacking trip. Just chilling out and having great convo and not needing to worry about anything.

So I sat by myself, reflecting on my journey thus far when I suddenly heard "seat 24?". ENGLISH!!!! Which could only mean one thing - backpackers!

I turned around and saw two female travellers, one looked like she just came out of Harry Potter with her red unkempt curly hair and pale skin. I didn't know whether I should go up and chat with them, so I just sat in my seat.

A while later one of them walked past my seat heading for the toilet, and I took my chance to ask where shes from.

England, she says. Then she sat opposite me and we began introducing each other. I can't remember her name now, but she and her friend are from South London, recent A level grads so travelling during their Gap Year. Wants to study graphic design and only 20 turning 21. Which I couldn't tell because they look really young like 17 or 18, when normally Caucasians look older than their real age.

Went to their seats and played card games, realised I didn't quite get their accent and slangs and got bored, so I headed back to my seat. But i felt much better after talking to them and I didn't feel so depressed anymore.

Back to Hatyai, I stayed at McDonalds till shopping centres were opened at 10am. Then I wasted time till 6pm when I boarded the bus back to Singapore. Saw this really hot and fit french(? she looks french) lady who is probably in her 50s but looks so much better than people in their 30s with her toned body. She was with her husband (I presume) and they were heading to Kuala Lumpur. Damn why not Singapore. Met another young couple from Sweden (typical swedes with fair skin and blond locks), also going to KL. WHY KL AGAIN!

In the end when we reached Singapore, there were only 6 people, all Singaporean uncles. What a shit end to a journey.